Monday, October 1, 2012

We thought it would be different

If you would have asked my husband and myself 9 months ago what we would be doing now neither one of us would have said, "looking for jobs...STILL!" It's been more than 9 months since hubby returned from deployment and neither one of us has found a job. With his job experience (he's only had 3 jobs, including Army) he was at one job for 6 years, one for 12 years, and the Army for 6 years. And he can't get a job because he doesn't have experience. You have got to be kidding me! If people would give him a chance to interview they would understand that the job he is applying for is the exact same thing he did while deployed, and he had a ton more people under him than this civilian job! Then there is me. For a long time I didn't stay in one place very long so my jobs are all over the place with working and all over the place in the country. Then I have this huge, almost 2 year, whole in my résumé. Well, I got pregnant, married, moved, and my husband deployed all within 2 months...so yeah, I didn't work. We decided that it would be better for myself, my husband, and our baby that I stay at home. But employers don't know that unless they ask, and NO they are not allowed to ask. So yes, in my cover letter it states that I am a stay at home mom ready to return to work. I'd like something part time to start, ie. secretary, but then I'm over qualified because I have a bachelors degree.
So he we are...still jobless and homeless, kinda. Thank goodness hubby is able to get unemployment since he got laid off. And thank goodness we have family that doesn't mind us living with them. But we are grown and have a child of our own. I never would have imagined that it would be this hard.
So, anyone wasn't to offer either of us a job?

No comments:

Post a Comment