Thursday, March 1, 2012

The "real" reintegration

So many people that are not army spouses think that "Homecoming" from a deployment is just the hugs, kisses, and tears of joy. Its not. I truly believe that its the toughest part of the deployment process. Going from doing everything without your spouse for a year to trying to figure out how to let go of some of the responsibility is tough. The soldier has to figure out where they fit in, because their family just survived a year without much help, if any from them. I am thankful that our reintegration process has gone better than I had expected. Of course we have had arguments, those are to be expected. Our biggest argument is how much I use my phone. I tried to explain it to him that it was like another limb for the better part of a year and its a little tough to get out of that habit. I am getting better about it so our arguments have been less and less.
Being in the reserves gives people another challenge after a deployment. The hubby's civilian job had laid off just about everyone while he was gone and he was going to be next. We were actually happy that he was going to get laid off because we didn't want to live where his job was. While we were in Iowa he had a meeting with his employer and was told that he would be laid off. The hubby got everything that he wanted. We are now officially homeless and unemployed. I will pat myself on the back for this, I did a good job saving us money while he was gone so we can afford to stay unemployed for a while.
I know that we are a lucky family because reintegration really has been "easy" for us. I have heard of husbands that won't help with their children and a few divorces or separations within the unit. My heart breaks for those families. And if someone can explain to me why you would marry someone that either the soldier or the spouse can't wait a year for (meaning sex), I'd appreciate it. I just don't understand that. I know it happens more often that we would all like to think, but seriously. I want to scream at these people. HOW FRIGGIN STUPID!
Ok, short rant over.
I love having my hubby home, even when we do argue. We have become a well rounded family. And I realized that what I missed most about the hubby was the times that we are laying in bed and he or I say something stupid and we can't quit laughing (we tend to do this on a very regular basis).
I'd go through a million and one deployments if it meant that I get to spend the rest of my life calling my husband my husband. I love him more than I will ever be able to explain!

No comments:

Post a Comment