Thursday, March 1, 2012

Its been a while

I had started a post less than a week after the hubby returned, but pretty much gave up on it because all I wanted to do was spend time with him and our little man.
His return was AMAZING! We went to the airport, myself, our baby, my mom, my step-dad, and my sister. My sister took lots of pictures for us, I haven't seen them yet, but I know that they are going to be great. As we were sitting there waiting for his plane to come in another mom and her daughter came up to me and they had tears in their eyes. Both are Army wives and could remember when their husbands came home from a deployment.
I seriously think I wanted for an hour just staring at the runway and asking my step-dad to refresh his phone (he was watching the hubby's flight for me). Then, there it was! My hands started to sweat, my heart started to race, and the tears started to well up. As I stood up to walk to where he would be coming out I heard the music that was playing in the airport. It couldn't have been a more perfect song. It was "All I Want For Christmas Is You." As I watched his plane taxi all I could think was, "Seriously? Could they taxi any slower??" Apparently I wasn't the only person in the airport thinking this because a man said the exact same thing to my step-dad.
I took our son out of the stroller, held our sign, and waited. I saw what was probably the entire plane get off before he did. Some people even asked if it was ok for them to stay and watch.
FINALLY, I saw that MultiCam uniform, and totally lost it. I had to bury my head into our little boy because I wasn't sure if I was going to throw up, faint, or quit breathing all together. Then he was just inches away, I threw the sign down and felt his arms around me. Let me tell you, THE MOST AMAZING FEELING IN THE WORLD! Actually being able to feel and smell him and knowing that he was really ok was better than the best feeling in the world. There were thunderous applause and tons of people cheering and yelling welcome home. (We have the whole thing on video as well) We probably stood there hugging and kissing for a good 10 minutes. I handed our son to him and the hubby couldn't believe how big he was.
As we walked to baggage to pick up all of his stuff every single person that we passed thanked him and said welcome home. We got into the elevator and there was a man, about 27 years old, in a wheel chair. He talked to the hubby and asked him where he had been. He proceeded to tell us that he had just returned in September. At this point I looked down and saw that his legs were just not right. I don't know how to explain it, you could just tell that something wasn't good. It took every part of me to not cry uncontrollably. That could have been my husband! I am so sad for that man, and so happy for my husband all at the same time.
We drove home and the hubby got to see all of the yellow ribbons that our entire street had put up. Once we got inside the house the neighbors started to come over to welcome him home. Mind you, most of them had never even met him. As we were sitting in the living room playing with Trace someone knocked on the front door. I answered it and it was a reporter from the newspaper. (We found out later that one of the neighbors had called and told them that there was a story that had to be told) The very next day, on the front of the paper, above the fold, was a huge picture of the hubby and our son. It was a great article!
It was so nice that first day just playing with our son TOGETHER!

No comments:

Post a Comment